Friday, September 26, 2008

Blow Out (1981), Brian De Palma


John Travolta plays a soundman working for a cheesy B-movie director in this update of Antonioni's Blowup. Tired of hearing the same old sound effects, the director demands that he go out and record some new ones. Trying to capture night sounds late one evening, he unintentionally records a murder. The plot gets pretty Kennedy-esque from here on out, and Travolta quickly finds himself in the middle of a political conspiracy.

I would consider this to be Travolta's last good role until Quentin Tarantino revived his career in 1994, by giving him the part of Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction. (Can you name one genuinely good thing he's done since then? I can't.) Blow Up is actually one of Tarantino's top three favorite movies (Rio Bravo and Taxi Driver are the other two), so naturally I felt that I had to watch it. But I digress. John Travolta is awesome in this movie. Nancy Allen was actually pretty annoying. I realize that was the point, but I think she overdid it. And John Lithgow's part could have been so much more evil! If you're looking for a Hollywood ending, I would suggest looking elsewhere, because this shit's bleak.

Grade: B+

No comments: