Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wait Until Dark (1967), Terence Young


The timelessly adorable Audrey Hepburn plays Suzy, a recently blinded woman menaced by three really, really bad dudes in search of a heroin-filled doll which they believe to be located in her apartment. I am skipping over important plot points here, but that's because I want you to watch this movie! And when you do watch it, I implore you to watch it in the dark, as the title suggests.

The acting in this movie is phenomenal. I really hated the shit out of Alan Arkin's character, which was the point. He was a brave man in taking this role. I mean of course, who would not hate someone so gosh-darn mean to sweet little Audrey Hepburn?! For a movie with so little gore, it genuinely had my palms sweating towards the end. This movie is often named as one of the scariest movies of all time. Before seeing it, I scoffed at the notion. But seriously, this one is a nail biter. I've read that when the movie was in theaters, all the lights were turned out one by one during the last twelve minutes. I probably would have pooped myself, had I seen it in that setting!

Best Line: "They should make heroin look like something else. Candy bars maybe." -Lisa

Grade: A+

No comments: