Friday, October 10, 2008

Delirio caldo (1972), Renato Polselli
Delirium


A serial killer is on the loose, killing a massive amount of women in a variety of cleverly disgusting ways. A criminal psychologist works closely with the police to help track down the murderer, but eventually becomes the prime suspect.

The DVD I was given had two cuts of the film- the longer, much more cohesive "International" version, and the butchered and radically different American version. I must note that I only bothered to watch the International version, after doing some reading which suggested that this was the more worthwhile cut. So my advice would be to forget the American version ever existed.

This movie was twisted. I mean, literally. There were so many plot twists and red herrings that I began to question my initial guesses as to who the killer (or killers?) might be, even though the answer is made abundantly clear within the first 5 minutes or so. Though not very gory, it didn't need to be. The story itself was entertaining enough to keep me interested throughout the whole movie. It was very sexual, which is to be expected when dealing with a serial killer film. The relationships between the wife, the doctor, the cousin, and the maid were probably the most interesting part for me.

Grade: A-

P.S. I think the opening scenes may have inspired Tarantino for the bar scene in Death Proof? Tell me what you think!

No comments: