Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Don't Look Now (1973), Nicolas Roeg

A couple (played to perfection by Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie) loses their daughter in an unfortunate drowning accident. Emotionally crippled by grief and guilt, they attempt to continue on with their lives. They seem to be managing, until one day when they run into two mysterious old ladies. One of them is blind as well as psychic, and claims to have "seen" their dead daughter. This sets the couple on their own obsessive quests for the truth, with completely unexpected results.

I've been meaning to see this movie for years. I first saw a clip from it years ago when Bravo showed their 100 Scariest Movie Moments. Yeah dudes, thanks for showing THE FUCKING END OF THE MOVIE. Cool spoiler alert. Anyways, I watched this movie knowing the entire time what was going to happen. And it actually had the opposite effect on my opinion of the movie than I thought it would. I thought I would either hate it, or be really bored. But I was actually really intrigued, and the fact that I already knew what happened made the last 5 minutes or so almost completely unbearable. I won't ruin the surprise for anyone else, but I will say that "certain elements" of this film made it pretty much terrifying for me to walk from the couch to my bedroom in the dark. I was just waiting for you-know-who to do you-know-what at any given moment. Seriously? I'm done writing about this because I'm getting creeped out all over again.

Grade: A

No comments: