Monday, November 10, 2008

Less Than Zero (1987), Marek Kanievska

A couple of wealthy kids get into coke, heroin, and prostitution. Their apparently straight edge friend has to pull them out of it. Apparently love conquers coke addiction, but not crack/heroin? Hmm.

A very loose adaptation of the Bret Easton Ellis book of the same name, although it is more a vehicle for Brat Pack-ers Andrew McCarthy, Jami Gertz, and Robert Downey Jr. than an honest attempt at a book-to-movie adaptation. You'd be hard pressed to find any evidence that Clay is bisexual and also takes part in the "festivities," or that Rip keeps preteen girls chained to his bed? But it was the first BEE book to be made into a movie, and they have gotten far better, thankfully. Tarantino has expressed his interest in a remake of Less Than Zero. I must admit, although I am morally opposed to remakes, that is one I would actually like to see.

I doubt that RDJ was ever even given a script. Kanievska was probably like, "Hey, Bob. Workin' on a new movie here. How 'bout you just let us follow you around with a camera for a few days?" His performance was a little too convincing is all I'm saying. Also, since it was long before I was into boys, perhaps someone a bit older than myself can enlighten me as to the appeal of Andrew McCarthy? Am I to believe he was a teen idol or something? He seems like the fucking king of the Brat Pack, because he is inexplicably in like 80% of the "good" Brat Pack movies. But he is just so blah, so bland. Not to mention a horrifically awful actor. He also laughs before he cries (in basically EVERY movie he is in), and it really disturbs the shit out of me.

So, to sum it up: Read the book.

Grade: C

No comments: