Monday, April 20, 2009

New Contributor Alert!

When I posted about The Room, I discovered (thanks to statcounter) that I actually have many RSS subscribers! Oh happy day! Thanks guys, I hope you stick around. (And don't forget to tell your friends!) I thought no one read this blog, but I've now realized that I need contributors. So I want to take this opportunity to welcome my first contributor, Joe!! He's a great guy and a huge film buff, so expect some variety and more frequent posting around here.


Observe and Report (2009), Jody Hill
By: Joe Y.


I am almost at a loss of words when it comes to this movie. I assumed going into it that is was going to be another writer/director trying to profit off the Apatow cast/trend and I wasn't completely off. Observe and Report is a story about a mentally unstable mall security guard, with dreams of grandeur, who invests himself in a case working against the police to find a local mall flasher.


I consider myself a fan of Seth Rogan, seeing as I have liked just about every film that he has starred/co-starred in, but I can't tell you what he was thinking when he took on this role (Or better yet what the producers and executive producers were thinking while funding it). The movie has a weak story structure and consists of crude humor and cheap laughs. That being said I did have my fair share of laughs while watching it. The funniest parts are few and far between though, leaving you waiting for the next big one. About halfway through the film it takes a turn from goofy summer comedy to an odd dark comedy. The whole mood of the film changes and it leaves you feeling mildly amused and disturbed at the same time. The film finally concludes with one of the most unbelievable and absurd endings but I would be a liar if I said I did not laugh. I would advise against spending any money seeing this film but it is worth a watch at least once.


I want to give this movie a D but I can't help but give it a C+.

No comments: