Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Freaked (1993), Alex Winter

An evil corporation pays former child star Ricky Coogan $5M to promote a chemical, Zyklon 24, which they know to be toxic. Along the way, Coogan decides he would rather chase tail than do his job, and deformity (caused by the very chemical that Coogan was paid to promote, no less!) ensues for all.

This was one of my favorites as a kid. I used to watch it on satellite (lolz) with my cousin. I hadn't seen it since childhood, but it holds up. I would put it in the same vein as They Live: a cheesy B-movie on the outside, a smart, well-written film on the inside. The cast of this movie is just as awesome as They Live, if not more. Alex Winter, Randy (My Favorite) Quaid, Brooke Shields looking like her ass don't age, William "Hey Guess What I've Been In Everything Ever" Sadler, MISTER FUCKING T... I could go on. The fact that it was directed by Alex "Bill S. Preston, Esq." Winter only adds to the awesomeness that is Freaked.

Grade: B+

No comments: