Friday, October 10, 2008

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (2008), Peter Sollett

Nick is obsessed with his ex-girlfriend, Tris. He's one of those. Low self-esteem therefore hopefully in love with someone who treated him like crap for 6 months. He is an otherwise really cool dude. He is the only non-gay in a queercore band, tentatively named "The Jerk Offs," (although I thought "Fistful of Assholes" was a way cooler name.) He makes the best mix CDs in the whole world. And he is a super mega ultra cute and awkward.

Norah is supposed to be that cool "girl next door" or "totally platonic friend" that likes awesome stuff, is funny, smart, hot- once you get to know her, and constantly overlooked because dudes are too busy drooling over her mega-babe-but-really-vapid friends. One of those friends (frienemies?) just happens to be Tris. OH SNAP GURL! (Disclaimer: To be honest, I just don't really like Kat Dennings. I think she's annoying, although she wasn't so bad in this movie. But she did get to kiss Michael Cera a lot, and for that, I will never be able to like her, due to extreme jealousy.)

Anyhow, not knowing that Nick is Tris' ex, she asks him to be her boyfriend for 5 minutes. This leads to a fun filled night of fighting, making up, awkward run-ins with exes, talking about nerd stuff, and searching for a super secret after hours performance by their favorite band, "Where's Fluffy?" Betcha can't guess the ending!!!!

I like cheesy movies. This does not exclude cheesy teen movies. I like the High School Musical movies too. Whatever. I think this movie will develop an obsessive following of 15 year old girls, much like Juno, or really anything starring the love of my life. Anyways, this movie was just okay. I have seen worse. The infinite gum gag got old really quickly. Michael Cera playing an awkward teen is starting to get old. There was a pretty great cameo from Andy Samberg, which I am going to be nice and not ruin. Some of the music discussions were so far off base and clueless, it made me LOL. I recognized a lot of the places shown/talked about, so that was cool. But when they kept saying "Brooklyn Pool," I kept thinking they were talking about McCarren Pool. They weren't. :(

Best Line: "If anyone is gonna get raped in that van, it will be a guy."

Grade: B

PS: This post is dedicated to my mom. To prove that I actually do watch movies that were made after 1989, not featuring gore of any sort.

No comments: