Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Gates of Heaven (1978), Errol Morris

A documentary about, well... pet cemetaries. Well, to start anyways. It was also about pet owners and the intense connection they feel for their pets, the ups and downs of being a small business owner, working for a family-owned business, and the awful things that can happen to your little mew-mew when she dies (Rendering? Jesus Christ that's gross!).

I like the way the interviews were presented, without judgement. Morris leaves that up to the viewer. I can see this movie's influence particularly strongly in the films of Christopher Guest. I liked this movie, but I was also kind of bored. I think I should probably watch it again, preferably BEFORE I start downing a bunch of red wine. But before I do that, I'm probably going to check out other Morris films, most likely Fast, Cheap, and Out Of Control, to start.

Grade: B

No comments: